Problems with your course

What can I do if I am stressed or struggling to keep up with my studies?

There could be numerous reasons for this. You may find that once you start your course, it is not really what you expected, or you may feel the pressure is too much. Talk to your academic mentor or Course Leader about the problems you are having, as they may be able to help to see if the issues can be resolved. Working out what the problem is will help you decide what to do next.                                                           

Think your situation through fully before you take any action. There are a number of support services that may be able to help you. Student Services can help with issues concerning Accommodation, Finances, Funding/debt, Mental Health, Disabilities and Dyslexia, Volunteering, Careers and employment advice. You may also need to consult an International Student Advisor for any visa issues.  

If you are thinking of leaving due to problems not directly related to your course (eg illness, homesickness, or financial problems) you should contact your Student Liaison Adviser who can help you find the support you need. Visit to learn more. 


Don’t rush into making a decision to leave.

Ensure you make fully informed decisions. Before you leave you should speak to your course leader, and Advice and Well-being in Student Services for advice about the implications for your student funding and housing.

Once you have considered all the relevant information. If you still wish to leave you should contact your school and hub for details on the formal withdrawal process. You must also inform Student Finance England and the Student Loans Company


I want to take time off from my studies.

It’s important that you talk to someone as soon as possible. University staff will try to support you though your course if they are aware that there are problems. If you can, talk to your tutor or Course Leader to discuss your options. Your school will have to agree to you taking time out so you will normally be expected to provide some evidence of the reason for your intermission.

If you don’t feel ready for this, talk the issues through in a confidential interview with a Counsellor or SU Casework Advisor who can help you negotiate the best way forward.

You should consult Student Services for advice about the implications for your student funding, housing contract, and to work out how you will support yourself financially during your time out.

Click here for further information on intermissions


Should you have any difficulties or questions not covered here please email and we will reply as soon as possible.