The Student Council is the main representative body of the Students’ Union. It is made up of students who represent a number of constituencies from across the University. The Student Council is there to discuss and debate issues which are of interest or concern to students. It provides recommendations to the Trustees of the Students’ Union and offers direction to Sabbatical Officers and Hub Committees and holds them to account. It can raise its concerns to and be consulted by the University.
For full details on the role of the Student Council see by-law 3 and part 4 of the Memorandum and Articles of Association, part of the SU’s governing documents.
All students are welcome to attend and speak at Student Council meetings
Election of Student Council membership 2018-19
As per bye-law 3 of the Students Union (above), 24 up to Student Reps and up to 24 Society reps sit on the Student council. Nominations for both are now opon. If you are a student rep or an elected society officer (President, Secretary or Treasurer) you can submit your nomination by emailing email@example.com and provinging the following information:
- ID number
- Year of course you are in
- 200 word statement stating why you should be elected to this role (optional)
- Jpeg Photo (optional)
- Please subject title your email 'STUDENT REP or SOCIETY NOMINATION'
Deadline for nominations for the Student Rep seats is Thursday 1st November 2018 3.30pm
Deadline for nominations for the Societies seats will be at the Societies forum (nominations will be accepted at the forum) on Wednesday 6th November at the Hollowy Campus (room TBC)
Student Council Training dates
All Student Council members are requested to attend a training session. This one hour session will introduce members to the council, procedures, 'jargon' and principles and help you to get the most our of the meetings. You only need to attend one session:
Tue 13th Nov 10.00-11.00am - room GSG-17a, Aldgate Campus
Tuesday 13th Nov 1.00-2.00pm - Moorgate Campus MG1-02
Tuesday 13th Nov 4.00-5.00pm - Holloway, TMG-67 (please note room change)
Student Council meeting dates 2018-19:
Wednesday 14th November 2018 4.00-6.00pm - Students' Union Office, Harglennis Building, Holloway
Wednesday 5th December 2018 4.00-6.00pm - Moorgate Campus room MG1-02
Wednesday 6th February 2019 4.00-6.00pm - Aldgate Campus room TBC
Wednesday 20th March 2019 4.00-6.00pm - Holloway Campus roomn TBC
Wednesday 8th May 2019 4.00-6.00pm - Moorgate Campus room TBC
Who is on the Student Council?
- Student Rep seats: There are four seats per school on the Student council. These seats will be elected by and from all Student reps in the school in the first week of November 2018. If you're interested in becoming a Student Rep for your couse, please speak to your Course Leader.
- Society seats: Each society has the opportunity at the Societies forum in late October 2018 to nominate a member to take a seat on the Student Council. So if you want to get involved through a society, join or start a society now! Email Shamim Ahmad <firstname.lastname@example.org> for information.
- SU Executive: Hub Committee members and directly elected Student council members, who are elected in March each year.
See by-law 3 for full info.
Student Council membership and minutes 2017-18
To access membership list and minutes of Student council meetings you must log in. Click top-right hand corner.
No elections are currently running